Updated September 27, 2018 06:02:37The ICC has confirmed that it is not planning to take any action against any Australian players involved in the ongoing unrest in South Africa.
The decision follows a report from the ICC’s ethics committee on Tuesday that accused the governing body of not adequately investigating alleged incidents of racism in the game.
The ICC had already suspended the tour of the Zimbabwean team after the death of a player and the death in March of another player, but a spokesman said the ICC had no intention of imposing sanctions against anyone involved in those incidents.
“It is clear that the ICC is taking the situation in Zimbabwe very seriously and we are looking into it in a serious and objective way,” the spokesman said.
“There is no further comment at this stage.”
The ICC is not looking to take further action against Zimbabwean players, despite concerns that the situation there could result in more protests, including the deaths of two people.
Cricket is an international sport which has been played by hundreds of millions of people in many countries around the world for more than 60 years.
It is played for the right to live and die.
“The ICC ethics committee has expressed concern about the continuing presence of Zimbabwean cricketers at the ICC event in Zimbabwe, including their participation in the Cricket Australia Test in Pretoria,” the ICC said in a statement.
“The committee also expressed concern that the presence of players from Zimbabwe was impacting on the ICC Test Championship.”
While we are mindful of the importance of international cricket, it is essential that cricket continues to be played in the interests of the players and the fans.
“The announcement comes after a day of unrest in Zimbabwe that saw police firing tear gas and rubber bullets at crowds of protesters, including some who carried the black flags of Zimbabwe.
Hundreds of Zimbabweans took to the streets of Pretoria to demand an end to the current political situation in their country.
Police fired tear gas into the crowds and used rubber bullets to disperse protesters, who were chanting: “Down with the ruling party!”
The ICC was forced to apologise to the country on Monday for a decision to not take action against the Zimbabweans involved in a security incident.
It later issued an apology, saying it had “no choice” but to take action.
It said it had acted to protect the integrity of the ICC and its members, and that the security incident had been the result of a “gross misjudgment”.”
The security incident in Pretrial had nothing to do with the security of the Test Championship, which was held at the same venue, and which included security officers from Zimbabwe, Zimbabwean and international cricket institutions and players,” the statement said.
The ICC’s statement was made in response to a report by the ethics committee, which had alleged the governing board had not adequately investigated allegations of racism against players and players’ supporters.”
In response to the allegations of discrimination, the committee had concluded that the events described did not occur in the context of a serious incident,” the committee said in its report.
The committee said it was not satisfied that the South African players involved had been adequately investigated, and also found that the decision to suspend the tour had been made “without any justification”.
The ICC said the security situation in Pretria was not linked to the ICC tour, but that it was still investigating.
A spokesman for Cricket Australia said that while the incident had not directly impacted on the Test Cricket Championship, the issue of player safety had been raised.
But the ICC will be monitoring the situation, he said.
Crickets Australia chief executive Brian Smith said he was disappointed by the ICC decision to ban the tour, and the decision did not take into account the “ongoing concerns of the people of Zimbabwe”.”
“We will continue to work closely with Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa to ensure that the safety and security of our team is not compromised,” Smith added. “
We were hopeful that they would take steps to ensure the safety of our players and we will be supporting them in any way we can.”
“We will continue to work closely with Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa to ensure that the safety and security of our team is not compromised,” Smith added.
South Africa is currently ranked fourth in the ICC rankings, just outside the top five.
In the lead-up to the World Cup, the ICC has faced calls to reform its security policies, following the death last year of former Zimbabwean player Geoffrey Boycott.
Boycott was killed while playing in Zimbabwe on a cricket field with the Zimbabwe national team.
His death was blamed on racism.
He was an 18-year-old who had played a significant part in Zimbabwe’s successful cricket team during the apartheid era.
ABC/wiresTopics:cricket,nsw,tsport,world-politics,worldclass-britain,african-football,south-africa,southgold Coast,australiaFirst posted